Artist of the Day: Stitched Heart Necklace - Thomas Mann

Thomas Mann stitched heart necklace XVIII Dynasty Princess

The description for this necklace reads: A wounded heart heals stronger.

I like that.

Every year for our birthday, my father gives each of his seven children a cash gift which they spend how they see fit.

I decided early on that I would buy a piece of jewelry that would be symbolic of the year.

This year, I suppose because I am now so, so old, in addition to the cash, he and my mother gave me a flower bouquet.

I found Thomas Mann's stitched heart necklace at Q Street Gallery. I think the stitched heart piece reflects a heart stitched back together truly does heal stronger, and grows into a seamless, full heart.

I love Ancient Egypt and the heart looked beautiful draped over a photograph of a XVIII Princess.

Artist Bio:
Thomas Mann has been an active participant in the contemporary American craft movement for the past forty years as an artist, gallery owner and lecturer.

He describes himself as an artist working in the medium of jewelry and sculpture. The primary design vocabulary which he employs in the making of jewelry objects combines industrial aesthetics and materials and with evocative romantic themes and imagery. He calls this design system Techno.Romantic. Though it is not the only design mode in which he works, it is the one for which he and his work is best known.

Thomas Mann lives and works in New Orleans where he oversees a jewelry design and production studio, a sculpture studio, and gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment