Writing Days: Syllable - February 9, 2012

Feb. 9, 2012

Figment Daily Theme:
This is a prompt I love to use when I first meet a new class. I tell them to take out their pens and write me a piece--the theme is up to them. It need not be long. But it needs to be a real scene. And the sole rule that frames what they write is this: You may not use a word with more than one syllable. It sounds hard, but "syllable" is the lone word used here that has more than one.

Syllable
Danna

You want my heart. You say it should be yours. My heart is mine. It is not yours.
You say you will die if I keep my heart. I say die.
You say I have no heart. I have a heart. It is mine. It is not yours.
You say I can not see your pain. I have eyes. They see. But they are mine. They are not yours.
You say I am stone. Yes. Yes, I am stone. I am like Mu.

Mu is mute, a place of gold and stone. Close the lips. Close the eyes. This is Mu. Mu floats in the mind of the past. Mu is old. Is Greek. Is root.

I say, this day, close your lips, be mute, close your eyes, float.
Forget your past, forget my heart, my eyes, me. Cut your roots, be stone, but not gold. Be old, but not Mu.

No, never Mu. I am Mu.

No comments:

Post a Comment