Writing Days: Secret - February 3, 2012

February 3, 2012

Figment Daily Theme:
Invent a secret for a character. Instead of deep and dark, make it pleasant and pleasurable, but a secret nonetheless. Now narrate a scene where your character is forced to reveal this hidden tidbit. For an added challenge, write an additional scene that takes place later, after the big secret has been divulged. How has this revelation changed the way your character feels about this once precious secret?

Secret
Danna

Alchemy is my favorite word. I've made the word every part of speech. Alchemical, (adjective), is my favorite, mainly because it tastes like dark chocolate infused with just a hint of chili. Dark and spicy.

No one, not even my husband knows that I taste words.

My earliest memory of tasting words was in the first grade when Mrs. Abshire read from See Jane Run, and my mouth was suddenly filled with the taste of apple pie with a slice of sharp cheddar on top.

Grade school instruction was filled with fruit of every variety, mixed with complementing cheese, until fourth grade. Everything changed with Mrs. Pierce and algebra. It wasn't Mrs. Pierce's fault. She couldn't help it that math was her subject. She thought I hated her, and from the disgusted faces and dry heaving I exhibited all through her lessons, I can't blame her. Algebra was the problem. The word, algebra, and all its mixing of letters and numbers tasted like rotted celery gone liquid. Fourth grade was a terrible year. I had to be excused from class, even after we'd moved on to the county seats, or Utah history. My teachers thought something terrible must be going on at home, My mother thought I had an ulcer.

No comments:

Post a Comment