The Day in Cartoons: Lincoln and M.L. King watch over Barack Obama's inauguration - David Horsey




david horsey


commemorative inaugural invitation

I like inaugurations, regardless of who, or which party is taking the oath of office.

Obama's speech, in its allusion to Seneca Falls, Selma, and Stonewall, put the ALL in the inferred all of the original "all men are created equal."

I watched PBS's Freedom Riders last night and marveled at their courage and at the depravity of their opponents. I haven't experienced struggle or bigotry because of my skin color or sexuality, but I do know what it is to experience sexism. It's infuriating and humiliating and sometimes hilarious and sometimes demeaning, but, it makes me work harder and read more and do more and be more, and, let me tell you, it makes me strive to make the road easier for my daughter.

Men like Obama, and many of my colleagues, neighbors, friends and family, clear the road of rocks for the next generation of women, and by doing so, make the road that much easier to traverse, for all.

This was especially moving and important to hear, ...our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts.

Interesting Reading:
Los Angeles Times - Lincoln and M.L. King watch over Barack Obama's inauguration
--- Obama's speech: one for the "herstory" books
The Telegraph - Barack Obama inauguration: the highlights
U.S. News - For Obama's Inauguration, Echoes of Lincoln and Martin Luther King

 

No comments:

Post a Comment