Song of the Day: I'm Writing a Novel - Father John Misty


Father John Misty
I'm Writing a Novel

People, if Father John Misty's dancing doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will.

I think he's channeling Mick Jagger and Cyndi Lauper.
---
This song resonates. Yes, I am writing my novel. Still. Sometimes I go for whole stretches not writing it. It will be done in its own good time.

So, the saying goes that everyone has a novel in them. It appears, I have three up to this point. The messy draft novel in the drawer waiting for revision. Another novel is half way. But, it is the third one that I will finish and revise first. Two of my novels have nothing to do with me at all.

The messy draft has the tiniest of autobiographical details, as in the main character is an artist and grew up Mormon, but has since moved on. She  has DPD  a dissociative disorder, which I do not have, but found the disease perfect for her coping strategies. If I ever get the courage to revise and publish this, (it was brutal to write, to really explore this disease and what it's like for the afflicted person, and for friends and family-I cried a lot & I ate a lot of chips and ice cream ), it will be after the other two, that is, if they make it to press, publishing what it is currently.

The novel that is half way written spans 1917-1941, and focuses on the sins of the fathers, or in this case, the collusion of an entire community in the murder of an outsider.

The novel I'm working/not working on right now spans 1923-1949, Utah - California- Montana - Hawaii, China- Guam - Philippines, Mexico, and is about a man who discovers his true identity with tragic consequences for everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment