Artist of the Day: Crania Anatomica Filigre - Joshua Harker

crania anatomica filigre joshua harker

It's a little sad that as a culture we don't embrace death, and our dead.

For the majority of us, the living, death is an abstraction out on the horizon, until it comes for us, or someone we know.

Death is the final frontier, as far as we know. We don't have any real evidence that there is something more than this life, so, why not celebrate all of it. The ancients did. Many cultures still do.

I'm celebrating the second day of Day of the Dead by going to a DoD-themed party with a group of friends.

I have no idea what to expect, other than good food and company.
---
artist bio: The skull has been a common subject in my art. It was symbolic to me in a couple of ways – as a piece that ties my more abstract works together with my representational figurative sculptures, and as a metaphor symbolizing the end of how I had been trying to disseminate my art and the exploration of new ways to reach people.To get the money to make these works, I started a Kickstarter campaign. When the project garnered nearly 1000 backers and became their number one most-funded sculpture project ever, I realized how powerful a tool I had picked up. I had no idea it would go that far. I’m pretty committed to 3D printing as a medium. It’s the only way to produce many of the intricate designs and geometries in my art, it allows me to reproduce my pieces at various scales and quantities without any loss of quality, and it frees my time to create rather than reproduce. I use a network of resources and vendors for my 3D printing needs and currently do not run my own machines. It’s a beautiful scenario in the way that the technology has empowered me as an artist to be more productive, in concert with being more creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment