Artist of the Day: Antler no, 6986 - Kari Herer

antler no. 6986 kari herer

I've been lamenting the waning of the light these last few weeks.

Winter is coming.

Yes, I know I lifted that line from HBO's Game of Thrones, but nothing else describes the visceral dread September ushers in with its short days, dark mornings, and even darker evenings.

I used to love winter. Now when I let my thoughts linger on its broken bone blue-tinged whiteness, it's with exclamation points.

What I love about this photograph from artist Kari Herer is the juxtaposition of bone and bloom.

I am going to look at this everyday, and for that matter, Kari Herer's entire collection of blooms mixed with insects, bone, and drawings, to keep the edge from kicking off its shoes, settling in, and making itself at home.

Winter may be coming, but the certain knowledge that the bulbs of Spring's blooms slumber mere centimeters under the soil's hard surface, is enough to scatter the shadows.

artist bio: Kari Herer has been photographing since a young girl. Her work has been shown in Martha Stewart, Town and Country, Vera Wang Fine Papers, InStyle Magazine, Tiny Prints, Wedding Paper Divas, and William Arthur. Drawing on her experience in the fine arts and graphic design, as well as her deep love of nature, she provides her clients with professional portrait photography in a variety of beautiful settings. She currently splits her time between the East Coast and the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment