30 Poem in 30 Days - Twenty-two: Horoscope

On the way to work today a rat ran across the street in front of my car. It was raining so I slowed down to make certain it was a rat. It was. I thought "what does this portend for the day?" then just as quickly, forgot the question, until I was trying to figure out what to write for tonight's poem, and my thoughts returned to rodents, and also, symbolism and mythology.

It turned out that it was a "rat" kind of day, lots of unpleasantness and petty annoyances. A literal portent. But, according to Indian mythology, Ganesh, the remover of obstacles, rides on a rat, so, silver lining, and all that.

I decided to write a poem inpired by horoscopes. Everyday when I open my computer, or read the news, I read my horoscope. It's usually random, but today's was a little eerie, which must mean I want to believe it, or I've made the prognostications conform to the events of my day. All of this lead to writing a horoscope poem.

Horoscope
Danna

A problem you have been avoiding since the day
you were born, will resurface today. It is the residue
of a past life. You have a restless spirit which twists
inside your skin like a snake. The planets have aligned
themselves against you and will continue until the Saturn
Uranus opposition has run its course. Do not attempt to exchange
the cards you have been dealt today, as this will only foster
disappointment and despair. Your deepest desire
is to run blindly into battle, armed only with the sharp
elbow of your erection. A lightening strike of clarity
will reveal the truth of your current situation. There
is a tendency to yield to nostalgia, dwelling on the past
when you clothed yourself in the blood of the living
and the dead. Focus on the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment