Artist of the Day: Magaly Ohika - Supporting each other through the good and bad

Supporting each other through the good and bad Magaly Ohika itsybitsyspider.etsy.com

The title of this piece brings to mind relationships, from the marriage kind to the friend kind. It's a given that very few of us can count more than five true friends that will have our back in flush and lean times, ( or even one friend if we're lucky, and honest). To be honest, I think I count my family as my closest friends and allies. I think I am a good friend, except I'm really stubborn, and a little nutty about boundaries. It takes a lot to get my back up, but once it is, just forget about it.

I remember learning about the Johari window in college. I really would like to know about my blind areas, the parts that are opaque to me, but crystal clear to everyone else. I know that acting aloof in hurtful situations is a way I cope. I know I like direct discussions, no prevaricating around the bush. I really hate passive language, too. I think I can be perceived as intense. I try not to assume or personalize, but I assume and personalize. I think I'm there in the good times and bad, although I can think of a couple times I just had to bow out, very quietly. Okay, I have no idea what I'm blind to and now I'm annoyed. Oh yeah, I default to anger or annoyance rather than weep. I do save my bad behavior and my rants for when I'm alone in the car.

I am a fan of primitive art and outsider art (outside of what? the canon/establishment, but who cares!), and anything that closely resembles this genre. San Juan, Puerto Rico artist Magaly Ohika's art is sophisticated in its simplicity. Hope you like it.

Artist Bio:
My name is Magaly Ohika. I have a B.A. in Illustration and in Toy Design.

I'm an artist who loves to smudge her fingers in paint and make beautiful works of art on paper. And love to share all this beauty to the world. Painting is intimate for me, the solitude of space, my paper, my acrylics and brushes. A connection where thoughts and feelings make beautiful music together . Sometimes they spill loudly across the page. Other times, is like listening to blues lavishly rattling the motions in my soul. My heart, my mind are at a flow. The rhythm feels right and once I'm feeling the groove everything I need in that given moment is in place. And I know the story--the image has begun and I'm having fun.

My Experiences:
Tyco - Toy designer
CyberSapien - Animation
One world Toys - Toy Designer
Just Toys - Toy designer

Art shows:
The wish house gallery - CT
The Re-Institute Gallery - CT
The Cornwall library - CT
The Gavin Gallery - Millerton NY
The West Cornwall Pottery Gallery - CT
Outsiders Gallery - CT

The Poets Passage Gallery - PR
Exodo Gallery - PR
1 Piso Gallery - PR
Espinar gallery - PR
Cafe Berlin - PR

Published 2010
Paper Cloth Scissors

Love to know more about my art?
Come visit:
http://theitsybitsyspill.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment