Artist of the Day: Animal Lover - Kelli Puissegur

Animal Lover Kelli Puissegur retrowhale.com & retrowhale.etsy.com

Over the weekend as I drove from one little store to another trying, quite desperately, and to great amusement, to find gifts that have some kind of personal meaning, I listened to a program about Bonobo monkeys.

We share something like 98.8% DNA with Chimpanzees and Bonobo monkeys. What is really interesting though is that bonobos aren't violent. Chimps are.

Bononbos are run by females, they are a matriarchy, don't wage war, or kill thier infants, nor do they exhibit violence against females, and they have sex, all the time with everybody. Everybody, meaning their fellow bonobos.

Chimps are the complete opposite of bonobos in every possible way. Guess which ape human behavior reflects more?

If only we could be more like bonobos.

Lucy by Lawrence Gonzales, explores this very issue with Lucy, a fictional half human, half bonobo girl found in the Congo.

I went looking for what's new in retrowhale land. I am a big, big fan of retrowhale.Puissegur's piece Animal Lover reminded me of the bonobo feature. We have much to learn from animals.

Check this artist out. Seriously.

Artist Bio:
Feel free to visit my website- retrowhale.com

My drawings are little appreciations for found objects, plants, animals, people who inspire me, family, music, shapes, textures, and what ever else pops into my head. I change mediums frequently because I get board easily but my work generally maintains a child like, playful quality. My goal is to make affordable art that people can appreciate or relate to in some way.

Retrowhale is a member of Etsy for Animals: Artists Helping Animals (efa): www.etsyforanimals.com

If you have a question or a special request please send me a conversation through etsy or email me at: retrowhale [!at] gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment