Artist of the Day:Owl Person Holding the Opening for Creation in Her Wings - Blue Fire MacMahon

Owl Person Holding the Opening for Creation in her Wings Blue Fire MacMahon bluefirestudio.blogspot.com

Owls fascinate. For years, every evening a snowy owl flew over my house on its way to my Honey Locust tree. One pass it dropped a small coffin-like bundle of bones and twigs. Last year a large owl took residence in the same tree the evening before a very important meeting. My daughter and I walked right under the tree and it didn't fly off, just looked at us with great intensity.

Ancients believed that birds were the messengers of the gods. I do as well. Any time I am about to have a huge shift in my personal, emotional, spiritual life, my intellectual life, my career, my anything, a bird will present itself in a dramatic way. This summer was a hummingbird literally helicoptering around my head. Since that encounter, I've noticed two hummingbirds on my morning walks. Hummingbirds are territorial, so it's no surprise that these two are in the same place, defending their branch.

Years ago when I was really trying to decide if I should divorce my first husband, I was standing in the bathroom looking at myself in the mirror, really working on giving myself a wrinkle between my eyes, when I heard a bird squawking. I thought it was the robins having yet another fight, but to my surprise, it was a bird that flew clockwise from side railing to screen door to front railing, screeching the entire time. My approach through the living room didn't stop its behavior, even when I was standing at the screen door with my hand in the place where it would grasp the screen and then fly off for the railings. I remember it seemed like this ritual went on for minutes. Afterwards, I tried to remember what I'd been thinking about: divorce. A few weeks later I opened the front door and a bird flew in and then proceeded to crash into the windows until it landed, exhausted, on the ceiling fan. I finally shooed it out. Birds flew in the house two more times. Sometimes it takes a lot for me to get the message. I got it.

Monday an eagle drifted lazily overhead. I didn't take this as any kind of real sign, but noted the siting in my journal.

I found this great owl sculpture on etsy, I mean, where else? I love it,(the sculpture and etsy). Can't you see owl right there in the beginning with the whole of creation in her wings? The chalky texture of the paint reminds me of oxides or using natural elements on the surface, (and of the time I pit-fired pots and burned horsehair and sawdust images as they emerged from the pit, but that's another story).

Be sure to check out Blue Fire's blog for more sculptures. What a cool name. I think I'd rename myself Scarlet Ibis or Celedon Water...just doesn't work, does it?

Artist Bio:
I am Blue Fire.

....I've been doing artwork in various mediums throughout this lifetime....I've been working with clay and selling my creations for 20 years.
.....i create sacred clay art... standing at the doorway, the Mystery, bringing my passion into being through my heart, hands and clay. i work with my dreams and mother earth's sacred body, from which she creates and nurtures all of life... i bring into being that which comes.... blessed by sacred fire the art / creation begins its ceremony / life.
read more about what goes on in my world at my blog: bluefirestudio.blogspot.com

Artist Statement:
I feel like when i go into my studio and start to work i am just holding an opening for creation. I just assist something that is happening all the time anyway, it is the natural order of this world. Such a joy to open to creation and participate in that way.

9-1/2" wide, 4-1/2" tall

Hand made from red clay and fired ceramic colors of the rainbow.
In the close up photos, you can see the way these ceramic glazes look like chalk or pastels. I work with colors the way a painter does...that's because i started out as a painter!!! and then i discovered the magic of clay. But still love working with the infinite possibilities of colors!!!! so my artworks are a combination of those two very different mediums.

Most of my sculpture is for display INDOORS ONLY. Inquire about custom art work for outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment