Women's History Month - Tali

Girl Party - Tali

Women artists have been creating since the first woman rubbed her hand in pigment and pressed it on a cave wall, (and granted it is generally only priviledged women who have had the time to make art), but it's only been in recent times that they have emerged from obscurity. This doesn't mean that women weren't well-known or successful in their own time. Heard of Vegee Lebrun or Mary Cassatt? (VL was the official portrait painter for Marie Antoinette, and later the English court; If you've taken art history you've heard of Cassatt and seen her work. In case you haven't, MC was Degas, Renoir & Monet's contemporary, an avid supporter of the Impressionsist, and although she was favorably received, she was also sometimes dismissed for her subject matter: domestic life, i.e. women fully clothed; mothers and their children). Both were well-regarded and successful in thier lifetimes. Neither were in the pages of an art history book until the 20th century was on it's way out. I believe that distinction belongs to Georgia O'Keefe.

I had heard of Cassatt, but not LeBrun (and a host of other artists), until I read about them in Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party. Why? Because that's just how it is. I already went through my strident phase in my 20's, so you're safe from diatribes, and speaking of injustice, a few friends have already said, "shut up, white girl". Still, it is a surprise when people continue to ask, why a women's history month?, why a women's museum? Here's a great link to more information about women artists in history.

I found this exuberantly painted illustration today and it matches my mood, (the anesthesia has finally taken it's leave), and I wanted to share it with all of you. Plus, it really is time for me to celebrate. I think I'll throw myself a party and take myself out for Indian food!

The artist is a woman named Tali. She is a freelance illustrator who lives in Tel-Aviv, and just recently graduated from Bezalel Academy of Art & Design. It is such an act of courage to declare yourself an artist to the world, and it's just brilliant that there are still brave people who follow their hearts despite how difficult it is to make ends meet as an artist, without a full-time teaching gig or some other practical job.

If you don't believe me, go home and tell your family you are quitting your job to follow your dream to paint, write, sing. Count the seconds of the shocked inhalation and stunned silence' duration before your loved ones launch a campain to disabuse you of your pipedream. In all fairness there's a reason the majority of artists have day jobs or are attached to people who do. Put on your coolest pair of shades and sing the blues with me: Dadadedum, and it's sooo hard, painting for pennies.

You can find more of Tali's illustrations at ToysaTosya.etsy.com. She also has another site TushTush http://tushtush.etsy.com that featurees realistic style paintings in oil pastels and acrylics.

No comments:

Post a Comment