The Ides of October

All the crazies are dooming and glooming about the end of the world, democracy, capitalism, freedom, the seven deadly sins, et.al., basically, life as we know it, and according to the various talking heads, the end will be ushered in at midnight, on...(ominous pause)...the ides of October.

Pfft!

Penn State's Monty Python Society has the right idea for the Ides of October.

Breaking news! A hawk just drifted by my work window. Omen? portent? fowl merely lilting in the October breeze? You decide.

In any case, I'll celebrate the Ides with a few good books, starting with:

Amulets & Talismans - Robert Dancik
A fabulous "how-to" jewelry book using found objects and metals to create contemporary adornments.

Who's Your Dada? Redefining the Doll through Mixed-Media - Linda & Opie O'Brien
A unique and eclectic exploration of the doll as artform.

Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri
Although I've meant to read her other books, this will be my first. After reading the epigraph from Poe, I knew I had to grab this from the thriftstore bookshelves.

The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul - Yehuda Berg
Another thriftstore find, and another book I've meant to read.

Your Inner Child of the Past - W. Hugh Missildine, M.D.
Yet another thriftstore find,and the title piqued my curiosity. I'm thinking this is one of those books in which you should prepare yourself to be pissed at your parents all over again.

The Quilts of Gee's Bend - Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
I believe I said "woo-hoo" when I grabbed this tome from the thriftstore shelf. What an auspicious find! And for only $3.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment